What to do if you are a worker injured at work
If you have been injured at work, you should:
- seek medical assistance and get a work capacity certificate
- tell your employer about your injury and provide them with your work capacity certificate as soon as possible
- lodge your claim, including your work capacity certificate with WorkCover Queensland (or contact your employer if they are self-insured) as soon as possible
- start your rehabilitation as soon as possible—work has been proven to be beneficial to the recovery process.
Schedule your free 15-minute Phone Health Check Today
What is a work-related injury?
An injury is ‘a personal injury arising out of, or in the course of, employment if the employment is a significant contributing factor to the injury.’
Injuries can happen at work, travelling to and from work or while on a break from work. Injuries can also take place if a worker is travelling for work, or visiting other workplaces or sites for the purposes of their job.
Examples of different types of injuries:
- physical injuries—such as lacerations, fractures, burns, industrial deafness
- psychiatric or psychological disorders such as anxiety or depression
- diseases—such as Q-fever or work-related respiratory disease
- aggravation of a pre-existing condition
- death from an injury or disease
Employees may be covered while working from home, as long as the injuries arise out of, or in the course of, employment, and the employment is a significant contributing factor to the injury. Employees may be covered for injuries sustained while working from home and on a recess break.
Each case is reviewed based on the individual facts at the time. Once a claim is made, WorkCover will contact the employer for further information and to notify them that a new claim has been made on their policy.
Who pays for my Rehabilitation?
Convenient and secure online service for injured workers
Use Worker Assist to get the information you need about your workers’ compensation claim in a clean, simple, and easy to use format. View it on any device that suits you: desktop, tablet or mobile.
Download the smartphone app to stay connected with WorkCover Queensland on-the-go. It’s simple to use and is available anytime, anywhere.
If you have specific queries, please call WorkCover on 1300 362 128.